Thursday, February 28, 2008

Singing Maltese songs

When packing my luggage to come to Australia, one of the things I made sure I put in were the lyrics and guitar chords for some of the old Maltese songs. I got the opportunity to use them two weeks ago.
Brendon's nanna is Maltese. She left Malta when she was 23. Unfortunately she's suffering from dymensia and is now living in an old people's home. She doesn't speak much. She spends most of her day sitting in a chair, and any abrupt movement tears her skin because it is so fragile.
Two weeks ago I took my guitar with me and played some old Maltese songs to her... Hawn tal-pastizzi, il-Vapur ta' l-art and il-Karrozzin. They're the oldest songs I had. It was so beautiful to hear her sing along with the refrain!! Her face changed from being gloomy to being a cheerful old lady. She loves singing and those Maltese songs must have triggered some old memories. Those few minutes when she joined in were worth it all.

No comments: